The Gardiner is thrilled to announce the launch of CLAY, an original in-house restaurant offering seasonal menus of fresh, local fare in collaboration with The Food Dudes.
The Gardiner has reunited for the first time more than 350 objects from Sir William Van Horne’s exceptional collection of Japanese pottery alongside archival materials and stunning watercolours. See it now!
Join us for family-friendly craft activities throughout the holiday season including festive ornament-making, gingerbread cookie decorating, clay experimentation, and more.
The Gardiner Museum is among the few museums in the world focused on ceramics, and is one of the most important specialty museums internationally. It houses approximately 4,000 objects, including European porcelain, ceramics from the Ancient Americas, Chinese porcelain, Japanese porcelain, and contemporary ceramics. Search the collection online!
Everyone can love clay! Become a Friend at one of the world’s great specialty museums and enjoy the benefits, including unlimited admission, invitations to exhibition previews and special events, discounts on lectures and clay classes, and more.
The earliest European porcelain was made in Florence between 1575 and 1587 under the patronage of Francesco I de’ Medici, grand duke of Tuscany. A limited number of highly individual soft-paste porcelain objects were made.
Porcelain was not produced again in Italy until the early eighteenth century. Christoph Conrad Hunger, one of Du Paquier’s original partners in Vienna, joined Francesco Vezzi to establish a porcelain manufactory in Venice. Hunger passed on two secrets of the production of porcelain known as the arcanum: access to kaolin and his knowledge of colours. In 1762 two other hard-paste porcelain enterprises, Le Nove and Cozzi, were established in Venice.The Marchese Carlo Ginori began making hard-paste porcelain at Doccia in Florence in 1737. He also acquired expertise from two employees of Du Paquier. The manufactory is still in operation today. A famous soft-paste porcelain manufactory also operated at Capodimonte, Naples, between 1743 and 1759.
The Gardiner Museum’s Italian porcelain collection is modest in size. It was established by George and Helen Gardiner and enriched by gifts from the collection of Dr. Hans Syz.
1. Sugar Box with Armorial (detail), Italy, Doccia, c.1745-1750, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.1105
2. Sugar Box with Armorial (detail), Italy, Doccia, c.1745-1750, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.1105
3. Wall Vase (detail), Austria, Du Paquier, c.1730, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.1220
4. Sunflower Dish (detail), England, London, c.1755, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.1108.1-2
5. Ewer and Basin (detail), France, Sèvres, c.1758, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G84.1.2
6. The Monkey Orchestra (detail), Germany, Dresden, Meissen, c.1753-1775, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.675.1-.18
7. Gardener with Watering Can (detail), Switzerland, Zurich, c.1770, The Hans Syz Collection, G96.5.421
8. Chocolate Pot (detail), Denmark, Copenhagen, c.1775, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.1104
9. Scowling Harlequin (detail), Germany, Meissen, c.1738-40, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.907
10. Teapot (detail), Germany, Meissen, c.1730, decorated at Lauche, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.764
11. Exotic Bird (detail), England, London, St. Jame's Factory, c.1751-1754, Gift of George and Helen Gardiner, G83.1.1005
111 Queen's Park
Canada, M5S 2C7